Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 14 minutes | Serves 2
8 ounces (227 g) asparagus, trimmed
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 (3-ounce / 85-g) skinless sole or flounder fillets, ⅛ to ¼ inch thick
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 small shallot, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
¼ teaspoon lemon zest plus ½ teaspoon juice
Vegetable oil spray
- Set the temperature of the air fryer oven to 300ºF (149ºC). Press Start to begin
- Toss asparagus with ½ teaspoon oil, pinch salt, and pinch pepper in a bowl.
Cover and microwave until bright green and just tender, about 3 minutes, tossing
halfway through microwaving. Uncover and set aside to cool slightly.
- Make foil sling for air fryer oven perforated pan by folding 1 long sheet of
aluminum foil so it is 4 inches wide. Lay sheet of foil widthwise across
perforated pan, pressing foil into and up sides of perforated pan. Fold excess foil
as needed so that edges of foil are flush with top of perforated pan. Lightly spray
foil and perforated pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Pat sole dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Arrange fillets
skinned side up on cutting board, with thicker ends closest to you. Arrange
asparagus evenly across base of each fillet, then tightly roll fillets away from you
around asparagus to form tidy bundles.
- Rub bundles evenly with remaining ½ teaspoon oil and arrange seam side down
on sling in prepared perforated pan. Bake until asparagus is tender and sole flakes
apart when gently prodded with a paring knife, 14 to 18 minutes, using a sling to
rotate bundles halfway through cooking.
- Combine butter, shallot, tarragon, and lemon zest and juice in a bowl. Using
sling, carefully remove sole bundles from air fryer oven and transfer to individual
plates. Top evenly with butter mixture and serve.